bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Raw sewage literally shot THMMMP off the side of that cliff, ladies and gentlemen"

I worked as a guide from 1989 - 2001 and clearly remember being introduced to Bruce by Jo-Nell who described him as "the gentlest tour guide." I soon learned exactly what she meant. The first intro I ever saw him give started quietly and then built and built until I was bent over with laughter. I don't know how many mics he burned through when he'd say, "Raw sewage literally shot THMMMP!!! off the side of that cliff, ladies and gentlemen."

Once Bruce asked me to cover a tour for him for either Mike's or Ben's graduation from something-or-other. A few days later, I got a hand-written note thanking me for the favor and telling me how wonderful the experience had been. (And here I thought getting paid was thanks enough.) I, too, was always soooo happy when I saw BJ scheduled for the same shifts as me.

The world was definitely a better place with Bruce in it.

bmasaki@apl.washington.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment