bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cousin Bruce

My father, Dick, was Bruce's Dad's (Sterling) only sibling and younger brother. Due to the fact that our families rarely lived close, unfortunately, we seldom got to spend time with Bruce while growing up. My older brother, Richard and I were pretty much limited to periodic updates from our parents about Bruce's life experiences.

I remember a visit our family made to Bruce's home: Since Bruce was about 10 years older than my brother and me, he was off in college, I think. Uncle Sterling sensed our disappointment for not getting to see Cousin Bruce so he took us into the garage to show us Bruce's car, a blue Fiat, if I remember correctly. I think Bruce would have enjoyed the puzzled expressions on our faces as we fondled and sat in the car.

About 8 or 9 years ago my wife, Bonnie and I had the opportunity to visit with Bruce, Mary and their kids while on a trip to the Seattle area. What a delight! We had such a nice time catching up and of course we took the Underground Tour. How cool that was! Bonnie and I left saddened that we had not spent more time with Bruce, Mary and the kids, over the years.

A couple of years after our visit, our daughter, Mary and her husband Jason, both freshly minted college graduates had the opportunity to spend a few days with Bruce and Mary while our Mary was checking out a possible internship in Seattle. Bonnie and I thought, outstanding, an opportunity to get back to spend more time with Bruce and his family while visiting our kids. Unfortunately, Mary chose not to do the internship. We were bummed!

I believe Bruce and I share the name of our father's favorite uncle, Jim Bishop. Bruce's middle name was Bishop and my first name is James. When I was a youngster my dad told me that I had been given the name James in honor of his favorite uncle.

I laughed when I read about Bruce's car fetish. We used to say the first thing that wore out on my dad's car was the paint, because he washed and waxed it so often. My brother and I inherited the same disease.

Now Bruce is gone and we have missed out. Mary, kids, and grandkids please accept our condolences.

Greg & Bonnie Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment