bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Joke-Off

My sister had the good fortune to marry into the Jackson family, and so I got to know Bruce and Mary as well. Whenever we visit Seattle, we've always been welcomed for a dinner or two at 7514 58th Avenue NE.

Like so many people who have posted on this blog, I can tell stories about Bruce and Mary's kindnesses to us. They shuttled us back and forth to the airport and hosted us for dinner and took a grandparent-like interest in our two boys.

When Lauren and Mike were renovating their house, we planned to visit them in March 2006. We knew for SURE that the construction would be done by that time... but it wasn't. Lauren and Mike were still living on 58th Ave., and Bruce and Mary welcomed us in - bringing the total in their house to four extra adults and three extra preschoolers. Wow! We had a great time, and now I'm especially glad for that unexpected opportunity to continue getting to know Bruce better.

On one of our visits to Seattle, Bruce and Mary had us over for the traditional flank steak dinner. Afterward, my husband Jeff sat at the table with Bruce and the two of them began telling jokes. (Next to Bruce, Jeff loves telling a joke more than anyone I know.) They went back and forth - a joke apiece - while the rest of us faded away from the table. (We didn't do the dishes, though. That was always Bruce's job, no matter what.)

In the end, I think the two of them swapped jokes for almost an hour. They were very pleased with themselves! I've thought of that evening often and I'll always chuckle when I remember it: Bruce being Bruce.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting that memory into words, Paige. I've thought of it often since then and certainly in these last 2 weeks. --Lauren

    ReplyDelete