bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

when i grow up

I met Bruce when I was 19 years old. I had come to the Underground to take a few tours in preparation for my audition to be a tour guide. His Underground Tour was the first I ever took. I sat in the front row and watched as Bruce quickly wrapped the entire room around his finger. He was amazingly fun and wonderfully cheesy. I was in awe of it all; the hat, the ease, the warmth. I remember thinking I would never be as good as he was. I wanted to grow up and be just like Bruce.

He was the kind of man you could always count on for a smile and the grace to let the bad stuff fall away. Thinking of him reminds me to slowdown, to forgive, to be humble, to celebrate all of the little things and to laugh out loud.

Bruce and Mary gave us a baby monitor when our daughter was born. I don't think I ever told him so, but hearing my child through that little speaker has often made me think of Bruce and Mary and feel hopeful that we could build as strong a family as they built together. Thank you Bruce for all of these gifts. I still want to be Bruce Jackson when I grow up.

Penny Truitt

No comments:

Post a Comment