bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

"Light up - Blow up"

I had the absolute pleasure of working the Underground Tours with Bruce for twenty years. The bond I felt with Bruce was immediate, strong, and lasting, and he was the main reason I stayed at the tours for as long as I did. “Light up-blow up” (no smoking) is the ending punch line for probably the lamest joke in Bruce’s introduction, a fact that we mercilessly teased each other about for years. We’d both try and deliver it better than the other, usually to limited response from tourists, but great fun for us.

For many tour guides, a good day at the tours would consist of large, responsive, friendly tourists who tip generously, and a bad day would be screaming kids, grumpy people, 90 degree temperatures, and an empty tip jar. For me, however, a good day at the tours was simply being able to work with Bruce.

There was never a bad day when you shared it with Bruce Jackson.

I watched Bruce interact with people from all over the country and world, and he always did so with kindness, humor, and a gentleness that made you feel special. He touched thousands of people’s lives in a positive way, and I consider it a blessing to have been able to work with him and call him for a friend for all those years. He will be sadly missed, yet fondly remember for years to come.


Larry Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Larry, I remember working with you and Bruce one summer and I had so much fun with the two of you! It was so clear that you had a terrific rapport. I remember during one of his intros you told me of a time when prior to the tour you gave people in the crowd numbers to hold up(like the olympic judges), and had them rate his jokes! I thought that was so funny! I bet he loved it! ahh, man-he was so great! I miss him already.My post should be forthcoming.-Terrilyn

    ReplyDelete