bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

the man in the hat

We tell stories. We tell stories to connect, to understand, and some of us tell stories for a living. Bruce did that. Bruce did a lot. Now, I find myself sharing stories of him; laughing and crying we have many to tell. His hat, his giggle, his laugh, his scooter, Mary, the kids, the grandkids, the dogs. He was a son, a husband, a dad, a grandpa, a friend to many, and so much more. We are all more than the titles we bear. We are what we do, what we say, and what we live. Bruce was genuine and he set an example.

He loved life, he loved people, he didn't speak ill of others, he would simply shrug off the ill-behaved, saying something like maybe they are having a bad day, or he would shake his head and say “that's too bad" like he knew it was too bad for them that they were that unhappy.

He cared about so many people and about so many things. His interests were many, music, volunteering, guide dogs, beer, friends, dancing with his wife. And oh how he loved Mary. You could see that when she came to see him at work, and when he spoke of her. He told me he was lucky. He loved his family so much and was so proud of them.

What stories do I tell? I can tell you all he would give me hug when I was hurting, or if we hadn’t seen each other for awhile. He would always greet me with a “Hey TJ!” I would ask him about his secret, free, parking space, he wouldn’t tell me, and just smiled( he often smiled). I just know he rolled in on his scooter from that hidden spot. He and I wore out The Shins CD I made for the tour, and he was so happy when I gave him his own copy to take home. As Larry said, working at the tour with Bruce was special. Bad Bruce punch lines: “ Well, if you looked out those windows, well, you wouldn’t see windows…” “ …beautiful Pungent sound.” I worked with him for twelve years and learned to work the room. He always chatted with the people before the tour, and I began to copy that move. It made the job even more enjoyable (that is saying a lot!).

This tour has been much more than a job for me, it has been a place I feel welcomed, and at home, it has been a family, and it is and always has been, the people, those like Bruce Jackson, who helped to create this bond. I cannot recall Bruce ever being down. He was always laughing, sharing, connecting and being Bruce. He touched my life in a very deep way and I am going to miss him. The tour will not be the same without the man in the hat.

He lived beautifully, simply, full of love and light. He will leave a void, yes, but a void we should fill with memories and life. A void that will be large, but it needs to be, for Bruce was a great spirit, and the life he led will need a lot of space for remembering. I love you Bruce.

Terrilyn Johnson (TJ)

No comments:

Post a Comment