bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Living Bruce's Legacy

I am one of many children the Jackson's have "adopted" into the folds of their loving family (those of us know who we are). Most of us have never known a father's love like Bruce's. We may have wished for it, but only seen it in the gentle, hat-wearing, underwear modelling, "charcoal only" BBQing, Bruce Jackson.
The attraction to the Jackson family is almost magnetizing for us dysfunctional types (those of us know what I'm talking about!)- yet Bruce and Mary graciously open their doors and welcome us in, teaching us how to be less dysfunctional and in the process, laughing with us about our dysfunctionalism (or maybe that was just Mike).
It reminds me of recently Salsa dancing with Bruce and Mary.
Just a few weeks ago, Ron and I, who know nothing about dancing, of any kind, were lured into the invite by the guarantee of Bruce's humor and Mary's ceaseless encouragement. While my husband and I bruised and battered one another on the dance floor, Bruce and Mary glided by.
I'm not sure if it was 40 years of marriage, dance lessons or a little mind-reading, but they were fluid in each other's arms; attentive to one another, smiling and joking, and laughing along the way. Ron and I stood in awe (and ok, a little jealous).
Later, I got the chance to dance with Bruce. He took my hand with such strength and confidence, as I tripped over his feet, squeezed his hand and stepped on his toes; yet with grace and laughter he held tight--steering me in the right direction, hugging me at the end of our dance, sore toes and all.

Salsa dancing, was only an one example of Bruce's character in action. I see it as only honorable to remember Bruce, my dear friend and adopted Father, by his legacy;
By weaving into my life those things Bruce taught me, through how he lived, and who he was.(He would find this so embarrassing!).
Just a few of them are these:
Be attentive to the one you have been given to love- and smile and joke and laugh along the way.
Laugh.
Adopt those who are in need of a family.; or at least a healthy one:)
Give generously (so many good times had because of Bruce's generosity and the Underground's tips!)
Love your family deeply
Embrace life by doing the things you love
Treat others better than they deserve
Extend grace, guidance and love to your children in their successes AND failures
Laugh.
My words fall short for such an incredible man, adopted father, and friend.

May my life be changed because of the time I spent with you--Its been my privelege Brtz. You're a class act.
Love, Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment