bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Friday, February 13, 2009

This is Bruce….a great guide….friend….. and our resident Underground historian

“He is our historian because he was a key witness at the 1889 Great Seattle Fire!” People often booed at my joke but not Bruce he always laughed or shook his head. Sometimes he would reply “Heather forgot to take her meds so just ignore her!” Of course the crowd would just roar with laughter. I guess I deserved it.

Unfortunately, I didn’t know Bruce for that long but you really didn’t have to. I saw people fall in love with him in 90 minutes. There is really nothing else I can say that hasn’t been said here already but I will try. He was compassionate, creative, bold and hilarious. He fought for what he believed in and wanted people to be the best they could be. Just like Lucy said, he was a good guy. I know in my heart of hearts that Bruce has moved on to a better place and will continue to laugh at all our jokes…funny or not.

I hope that my son, Kyle, grows up to be like Bruce. I will share stories of Bruce with him and strive to raise another good guy. It is a tall order but nothing would make me happier. I will never forget Bruce.

Heather Chermak

1 comment:

  1. Bruce without a hat!!

    wow, such a loss. As all who knew him have said "He was a great man". I only knew him for a short time, maybe hung out with him 6 months out of the 2 years I've been with the underground. The one thing I'll never forget, is how welcoming he made you feel. He always would extend his hand for a shake everytime. I remember the first time I saw him without his hat. It was from across the pioneer square park. All I saw was some old guy waving to me. I'm like, who is that old guy? and why is he waving to me? So I waved back to be polite. After a bit the old guy came up to me and said "Hows it going Ross? Is this guy stalking me?, I thought. It took me a minute to realize it was Bruce. Gosh what a differance a hat makes. You'll be missed my friend

    Ross Allison, fellow tour guide

    ReplyDelete