bruce's blog

Join us in posting comments and/or blog entries with stories about the life of the magnificent bruce jackson -- tales from the underground, jokes he would have liked, photos, poems, videos, etc.

To post, you can sign-in and click "add post", or click "comment" under current posts. If you have trouble posting, email us your comments / photos (blackleyjackson@gmail.com) and we'll post for you.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

How devastating it was to discover the passing of Bruce. I cannot begin to tell you how very much I enjoyed having the opportunity to call Bruce Jackson my friend and colleague. I became the principal of Beverly Park Elementary in 1987. Becoming principal of Beverly Park is one of my fondest memories. It was my first principalship. In my early days at Beverly Park, I quickly discovered that I was surrounded by an outstanding staff. I remember the day Bruce walked into my life and let me know he was going to be the counselor at our school. I took an immediate liking to this wonderful man. I just knew at the moment I met Bruce, that we would be great partners. His smile, his humbleness and his genuine sense of compassion were clearly apparent to me at the onset. Then there was his sense of humor. Bruce would say something to me with that deadpan look of his. I'd fall for it hook, line, and sinker - then he would smile and laugh. I know I had been had once again.

In an elementary school there are three folks whom the principal must have by his/her side - the secretary, the counselor, and the head custodian. Reine Huntsman, our secretary, and Bruce made up such a wonderful team. They were good at what they did. I could always depend upon them for wise counsel. I knew that their ultimate commitment was to the welfare of our students. Bruce was such a key player at our school and did so much for staff, parents, and of course, the children. He was a good listener, knew how to fly under the radar, and played a major role in helping others find their answer.

One last thing I would like to share. I knew that Bruce worked in Pioneer Square giving tours. Any time I was in Seattle, I would purposely drive my MG convertible through the square just to see if Bruce was leading a tour. Every so often I'd see him and yell out at the top of my voice, "Hey Bruce." As calm and collected as Bruce was, I took great joy in the shocked expression on his face as the entire crowd turned my way to see what was happening. These were the only times I could "one up" my dear friend.

I miss you Bruce. You touched my life and all those who had the pleasure of knowing you. You are a dear and tender man who will be sorely missed.

Michael Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment